Thursday, January 26, 2006

Greater Things

What if the Lord of the Universe whispered to you that He was going to work miracles through your life? What would you do?

In a way, He has said this to all of us, and not in a whisper, but in the fourteenth chapter of the Gospel of John:

"Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father."

So, the goal is not the miracles themselves, but bringing glory to the Father through the Son. Just in case we get dazzled by the idea of signs and wonders and focus on that pursuit instead of our true aim.

Why is it that I am not doing greater things than Jesus did? Was Jesus' prophecy incorrect? Do I not have faith in Him?

One of the questions I am most interested in is: Why is the supernatural largely concealed in our culture? What is it about Western Civilisation that draws a veil over both demonic activity and the activity of the Holy Spirit?

Yes, there are some miracles in the U.S. The modern Pentecostal movement started here. We have sent out more missionaries than any nation in history thus far (China may be poised to change that statistic). But have you read any accounts of what is going on in other places on our globe? In South America? In Africa? In China?

Missionaries often tell of their sudden awakening to the spirit realm when they arrive on the field. Suddenly the evidence for demons, and for God's power overcoming them, is out in the open.

I have been investigating this issue of the mechanism by which the supernatural is veiled in Western Civilisation, specifically in the United States, for a number of years. I'm not sure that I have very many answers yet.

Recently, I felt that God told me that the way to combat this false philosophy is by miracles. I argued with Him for several minutes, but He didn't hang around for that. He kind of came into the room, woke me up, said the thing about miracles, then was gone in a flash. He's like that.

So today I'm just wondering. What would I have to change in my life in order to get to a place in the Lord where I see some miracles happening? Because we always have to make choices. If I keep spending all of my time on commuting, working, studying, cleaning, cooking, laundry, meetings at church, or all of my time on some kind of ministry He hasn't called me to, then there will be no time left to pursue what He has spoken.

The last thing I want to hear when I get to heaven is "VeraLee, VeraLee, that's not what I told you to do."

1 comment:

LBC said...

"The last thing I want to hear when I get to heaven is 'VeraLee, VeraLee, that isn't what I told you to do.'"

Ouch! I don't want to hear that, either.